Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Here we are at South Padre Island again, where I have the urge to share the little things in my life. We arrived at Isla Blanca Park (a county park) Thur., Jan. 5. It is good to see our TX friends, who are from MN, IL, NE, TX, IA, OK, MO, KS, CO,ME, TN, Canada, and probably some other states that I can't think of right now. I walked to the water the night we arrived, but didn't actually walk on the beach (and look for shells) until Mon. I certainly don't need anymore shells to take home, but it's always fun to look. I picked up a few, but there are activities that are more important now. Randy and I have both had colds and not felt really great. Today was the first day he has gone fishing, which says a lot for the diehard fisherman that he is. He just hasn't felt like it. I think he is improving.

I went to church Sunday. There were over 350 at the 9:30 service, probably not as many at the 8 or 11 services. They put chairs in the aisles and 70 people in the overflow room. I enjoy going to church where you have to get there early to get a seat! I have had to be in overflow once or twice in years past. On Sat. a 4p.m. service will be added for the months of Jan. and Feb. In the summer I think the attendance is about 70 for the one service that is held.

Quilting is Tue and Thurs 9-11:30 (or whenever we get finished), where we make quilts and give them to the local churches for distributing where needed. Last year we had a man come to the church where we work to ask for a quilt because he was getting cold sleeping in his car. He had a job, but no place to live. All we had that day was a pink one, but he didn't care what color it was. It was great to go to quilting yesterday and see the ladies that I spend a lot of time with while we are here. I also learned about a new pattern that I will use sometime. Fun to share with each other.

I have been riding my bike, but today was a very active day. One hour of Zumba started my day (loved my first experience with Zumba!), then this afternoon rode my bike 12.1 miles in 1:11:24 (I'm riding my old comfort bike; don't want to rust up my hybrid), then walked 1.6 miles in 30:41. Fun day! Wanted to ride farther, but was rather tired riding the last 6 miles into the wind and wanted to save some energy for walking. I had to go north first, because the water is south of us! Sometimes I ride around the perimeter of the RV park, where the wind doesn't bother as much, but it takes a lot of laps at 1.5 miles a lap to get many miles in.

No comments:

Post a Comment