It's been nearly a year since I've blogged. FB is so much quicker and easier. But while we are at South Padre, there seems to be more to blog about. This week much of the USA has had severe winter weather, including South Padre. Monday was a beautiful day, so I rode my bike 21.4 miles, knowing the weather was going downhill later in the week, but I didn't know how "downhill"!! Tuesday got cold and windy, then Wed. and Thurs were even worse. Thurs we had a few snowflakes and a little ice, then lost power before 8 p.m. Our furnace, frig, hw heater can all run on propane, so we were fine for awhile. Those things, as well as our DC lights, are good as long our RV batteries stay charged. We went to bed about 8p.m. and used our reading lights awhile. This a.m. Randy started the generator, so we could use AC power. Our neighbor didn't have a generator, so he plugged into ours. All through the night and also much of today, ice fell from a palm tree onto our RV. Sounded terrible! Hope it didn't damage our roof. The palm tree doesn't seem big enough to have that much ice on it!! Power was finally restored about 3p.m. today. The causeway between South Padre Island and Port Isabel was reopened today at noon. Don't know when it was closed, but I certainly wouldn't want to be on it in the icy, windy conditions we had. I think the temp got down to 26; nothing like KS I know, but pretty cold for here. Some records were set. After the sun came out this afternoon, the temp got above freezing and I went for a walk, but was dressed warmly. The wind was still biting. In the second pic, Randy rolled down the truck window, while the ice coating stayed intact. The first photo shows after he knocked the ice out. I tried to post them the other way. Oh well!
Friday, February 4, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment